Sunday, April 7, 2013

Day 7 - NaPoWriMo 2013 – Another One


Day 7 - NaPoWriMo 2013 – Another One

Today I thought I would share a moment in time with you ...

Another One
(Jaquith 2013)

“Check 10!”
“Check 10!”
Dad’s voice amongst the din

Heart pounding
Slight ringing in the ears
Looking over my shoulder I take my man in the high slot
The sound of sticks clashing
Lean the shoulder in,
and take him out of the play

The pass slides harmlessly to the corner
My older brother sweeps in gracefully,
scoops it up, has a quick look around,
and heads down ice

Bad line change, their defense is out of place
Dad calls out, "Go for it!" from the bench
A quick move at the blue line,
like he always does,
and he’s away

I dump my man and give chase
Changing direction twice,
he closes in on the goalie,
picks a spot,
winds up, clean and hard

In over the right pad ... !

Whistle screeches, the Ref pointing at the back of the net
Hands in the air
High fives at the bench
Mom in the stands
Dad's grin as he calmly calls out,
"Its not over boys! Get me another one!"

Sitting with my brother smiling,
sharing the moment,
getting ready for our next shift ...

Hockey night in Canada
It’s a family affair.

No comments:

Post a Comment